Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lili, Lilly, Lily and other exciting things

A little something that happened to me today. I went to see the academic advisor today to see if I could test out of a class. A little bit of background info; when you're going to see an academic advisor or anyone else of note, you have to type in your full name into a laptop that they have and click on who you want to see. For example if your name is John Doe and you want to speak to someone about a scholarship, you type in your full name and click on where it says Financial Aid, then go and sit and wait for them to call out your name. Easy enough, right? Well apparently not because some people are truly and utterly confused as to what they need to do. Seriously. There was this group of girls standing there going, "Like, what do I have to do? Whats this little laptop thing for? Oh you have to type in your name. Do I put my full name or what? Wait who do I need to talk to again? I have no idea what's going on..." *facepalm* Finally they manage to figure it out and go off giggling and chattering like loonies. I do my thing and go sit in the waiting area. Since it's near the end of the fall semester there's a lot of people waiting to talk to the advising department, so it's a bit of a wait. I look around and see how many other people are waiting. I do this partly in case I recognize someone and partly so I can see who came before me so I can be ready when my name is called. I sit and wait. And wait. Did I mention that it smelled of men's cologne and chili cheese nachos for some reason? Other people come in and sign into the computer and sit down, particularly this one girl I'll call my doppelganger, or DG. DG signs in and flops down into one of the empty chairs and immediately pulls out her cell phone and starts texting. Takka, takka tik Note that she signs in after I have. So we're waiting for about hour which is reasonable enough. The line for advising is moving rather slow but thats normal (last minute changes, holds, etc.) Finally one of the advisors finishes with their student and calls out my name. Now my name is not that uncommon. There are a lot of people named Lili (or some variation of that). There are fewer people named Liliana, but they're still out there. Anyway he calls out my name, "Liliana!" Yes, my turn, finally. I go to gather my paper and bag and as I'm grabbing them DG (the girl who came AFTER I did) launches herself out of her chair, practically runs towards the advisor and lands in the chair in front of him. All this happens in less than a minute. Literally. By the time I'm getting up to walk over she's already sitting down talking to him. I was left in the dust going "Umm?" I know, I know, I should gone up to her and asked her to move over, but I'm not exactly the confrontational type. This is the third time this has happened (other girls named Lili have taken my spot.) Those times I did ask them to move over and they were nice enough about it, but this time I said eff that and left. I considered retyping my name into the system but I had a test to take half an hour later and I didn't have the time or patience. So I left. Best part? Right as I was leaving a different advisor called out HER name. "Lily Garcia?" She had typed in Lily. Not even Liliana just Lily. And she still went when they called out Liliana. Smh. "Oh thats me" she said. Grand.
One good thing happened today though. As I was waiting in the hallway for my next class to start, one of the guitar playing students started playing AC/DC's Back in Black. That is by far one of the greatest songs ever and my favorite! So I was treated to an acoustic version of that song right before my test. Made me feel better about today.
That was a long rant. I'll try and keep it to a minimum from now on. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment